Monday, July 4, 2011

Paris!

Picnic in front of the Eiffel Tower!
top of the notre dame

bridge of all the locks of love :)

This past weekend I took a little excursion out of Barcelona to fly and visit Paris for a few days, and it was absolutely incredible! I crammed every touristy thing I could think of into 3 days, which means I barely got any sleep. My flight to Paris was at 6 am, but it was 2 hours outside of the city, and the flight landed at 8 am, so I started off my day at 8 after pulling an all-nighter of traveling! Trust me, this city is totally worth sacrificing all the sleep for! We started off our day with a picnic in front of the Eiffel Tower with some of the best french baguettes and cheese I have ever had in my life! The Eiffel Tower is absolutely amazing, and it's way bigger in person than I thought! Our hotel was within 5 minutes walking distance from the Eiffel Tower, which could not have been more perfect! After lunch we went to go see the Notre Dame, and it was breathtaking. We paid to go up to the top which had the most incredible views of Paris!! I had to hike up 400 steps to get to the top though, so really, they should've been paying me instead. Lucky for me, It was the 1st day of the month, so students could get in free to the Louvre! We conquered the entire museum in a total of 30 minutes- record time! Went in, got a pic of the Mona Lisa, and called it a day.  We got dinner at this cute little Italian place then went back over to the Eiffel Tower to take the tram to the top of the tower! The lines were ridiculous, and it was about a 3 hour process, but it was totally worth it. If you're afraid of heights, I don't recommend it- my friend had a panic attack and had to leave halfway up the tower haha. At nighttime at every hour, the tower has a light show and the whole thing sparkles for 5 minutes! The only thing hard for me in Paris was the language barrier- I don't speak a lick of French. The only things I know how to say were oui, and j'tem,(which means I love you), so...that got me no where. Anyways, we started off our next day by going to the Cadacombs which is the creepiest, coolest thing i've ever been to! It's this tunnel that is just filled with thousands, or millions of bones. Back in the day when everyone was dying of the plague, there wasn't enough room in graveyards for all the bodies, so they stored all the bones underground in this tunnel, and it was soo creepy but one of those things you just have to experience! After that we went to go see the Arc de Triumph which also was WAY bigger in real life than I had expected! Later that night, we went on a bike tour called Fat Tire Bikes, and it was the most fun of the whole trip! Our tour guide was really cool, and we got to dominate the streets of Paris with our bikes! And of course, I was the first one of the group to fall off my bike...anyways, we got to see parts of the city we wouldn't normally see on other tours. For instance, we stopped at this little bridge that was my favorite part of Paris; There were thousands of locks hung on this bridge. The story behind it is that a couple inscribes their names on the lock, locks it to the bridge, and then throw the key into the river, symbolizing that they have their heart forever. While I was here, I witnessed a proposal on the bridge, and it was the most heartwarming thing I've ever witnessed. Next the bike tour took us to this little Island that consisted of the 2 best things Paris has to offer: incredible ice cream, and Johnny Depp. His apartment is on this little island. I'd like to say I saw him walking around, but I didn't. The tour eventually led us to a marina, and we got to take a boat ride through all the rivers through Paris and ended in front of the Eiffel Tower lit up at night- a perfect ending to a perfect day. Our last day, we took a train to see the palace of Versailles, which was like nothing I've ever seen before. There was gold and marble everywhere, and resembled something like what I want my parents next summer home to look like. Once we got back to Paris, we had 6 hours to kill before our flight and we were exhausted so we went to get to starbucks to get coffee. Not such a good idea, considering i hit an all time low and fell asleep in a starbucks, in Paris. We decided we needed to call it quits then and there and head to the airport, because we were exhausted and clearly not capable of functioning. All in all, this was one of the most unbelievable trips of my life, and if you have the opportunity to go, you have to.

2 comments:

  1. So how can we convince mom and dad of that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. shower them with love. thats all i've got to offer!

    ReplyDelete