Thursday, June 9, 2011

Successfully completed my first week of school, so now I can say I'm officially an international student! I've had to ride the metro alone every day to class, but I feel like I can finally navigate the city on my own now!.  Classes here are really weird, but cool! Theres no tests except for midterms and finals, and foreign teachers LOVE speeches and presentations so thats what grades here consist of....fantastic. But luckily they don't assign a lot of homework, since they're probably aware of the fact that even though we're all "technically" here to study, actually studying is the last thing on our minds. So during our time spent not studying, there's been a few celebrity sightings in Barcelona!! Unfortunately I haven't witnessed them first-hand, but my friends saw Oscar from The Office with his wife taking a walk downtown, and another group of friends ran into Mike Posner in a local bar called Dow Jones and got to hang out and talk with him for a bit! Jealous!! But I had the honor of meeting a supposed professional basketball player who plays for Spain. He was beautiful, and honestly like 7 feet tall, because I only came up to his shoulders which I've never experienced in my life. We talked in spanish for about 3 minutes, so I think it's safe to say we're in love. Sorry guys, looks like I'm never coming home. America doesn't offer 7 foot tall men with accents and good tans. I've had a lot of free time to walk around, and really explore the city. I've been in a lot of really cool stores, and it's funny listening to all the random American music they play in there. The strangest was when I walked into an asian store and they were blasting Shania Twain's "That Don't Impress Me Much". A store full of asians in spain is the last place I thought I would get a nineties flashback.  Also in other stores, I guess since the songs are in English they don't censor it, but some stores will play songs that have one obscenity after the next, and it's really weird to get used to. The beach here is absolutely beautiful, but we've had only one decent beach day since I've been here. It's usually really hot here, but since I flew in the weather has been in the 60s and low 70s, and has rained at least every single day with the exception of maybe 2 days. My goal was to come home with a tan but with this weather, it doesn't look like that's going to happen. What I love most about this city is that I've met so many people from all over the world here. I've met people from Austrailia, Romania, Sweden, Peru, Germany, it's fascinating to me. I've been that foreigners and spaniards like you better if you pretend you're Canadian instead of American when you introduce yourself. They aren't overly fond of Americans here haha. But all it takes to fit in and look European is to go shopping here and wear cute clothes all the time which is fine by me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment