Saturday, June 4, 2011
First Week in My New Home :)
Finally our first sunny day in Barcelona all day!! People here tell me it's warm and sunny here all the time and it never rains, but until today, it has literally rained at least once every day and it's been mid-60s almost every day! But finally today the weather was perfect and sunny in the 80s! And of course I accidentally fell asleep for 4 hours during the day...I'm having some trouble adjusting to the nightlife! The sun doesn't set til 9:30 or 10 at night here, and dinner isn't ever until at least 9, so people stay up a lot later. Nightlife here hits its peak at 2:30 am, and people normally don't go home until around 5 or 6 am. So clearly i'm struggling a bit! There are children walking around with their families at 11:30 at night on a school night it's so crazy!! The past few days i've been touring the whole city and checking out a bunch of the hot spots here! The best beach here is Barceloneta which has a bunch of really cool sculptures around the beach! There's also a massive marina with a bunch of sailboats and it looks like Annapolis and is like a home away from home for me :) Speaking of home, I absolutely adore my host mother! Each meal she cooks for me tastes even better than the last! Tonight she's cooking us calamari...mmmm! I got really lucky, considering my friends mother made her off-brand ramen noodles for dinner one night haha! I found out Palir (my spanish mommy) is a student at the local theater school, and is going to be in a play! It'll be performed in Catalán, but I'm still excited to go watch her, even though I won't understand a single word spoken! My roommate and I got an unlimited metro pass so we've been taking full advantage of that! But along with that, comes many stops we get off at, and of course we get lost at least 50% of the time, and always in the most inconvenient places! We often accidentally come out into a big protesting rally. The protesters here are a little ridiculous- our tour guides warned us to stay far away from them, but they're everywhere! It's basically a bunch of young people who either can't get a job or lost their job, and they just camp out on the street and just rant, like ALL the time. And near our apartment, at 9 pm every night, the protesters bang on pots and pans (like we do on new years) and yell for like 20 mins. After 2 minutes, it gets pretty annoying haha. Also on the metro, I witnessed someone getting pick pocketed for the first time! It really freaked me out and I don't go anywhere without tightly clutching my purse now! This guy had a backpack on and a couple suitcases and got on the metro, but this big spanish guy was behind him (it was really crowded) and was like bumping into him, but unzipped all the zippers in his backpack and when the guy felt something and turned around, he tried to punch him but the spanish guy turned and ran off the metro right as the doors were closing. A guy in my ISA program has already been pick pocketed 3 times! People weren't kidding when they said it happens a lot in Barcelona! Luckily though, so far, so good for me :) Anyways, the food here is so good I can't get over it. We get a full baguette with every meal, and everything is so good I never stop eating! At restaurants, people drink wine with every meal, and most places have a house wine for only 6 euros for the entire bottle!! Wine is cheaper to drink here than water...I like the logic in that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment